Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reasons I love Greenpoint- Part 4: Fred Flare (A Cavalcade of Cute!)

When I moved to Brooklyn just over 3 years ago, there was a beautiful store front that was empty.


It stayed empty until last summer, when I finally saw signs of life (i.e. construction). I was excited about the possibilities; but had no idea what it was to become of the space.

When I saw these hearts pop up in the windows...

Fred Flare- corner of Meserole Ave and Leonard St

...I knew it was going to be something good!

Since I pass the store every day, I met one of the young women that work there. Her name is Jen, (and apparently she's employee of the month)! She told me that it was going to be a store called Fred Flare. I had never heard of them, but welcomed them to the neighborhood.

While the store was still under construction, they had a very informal pre-opening sale in September. That's when I realized the cuteness potential and picked up a couple of things - I scored this amazing subway sign:

Atlantic Avenue Subway Sign

and I could not pass up this t-shirt. It's now one of my favorite workout t-shirts (yay! chihuahua!):

Te Quiero Mucho- one of my favorite workout shirts

The construction continued and the paper remained on the windows, which only added to my excitement. When the store was finally opened in October, and I saw it in its entirety, my inner 12 year old girl squealed with delight! It is so beautifully arranged, super neat and everything *EVERYTHING* is adorable!

I've popped in there several times, buying gifts for friends or fun things for myself. I've met most of the staff since then, and have a school girl crush on Keith. He's so sweet! Anyway, here are some of my favorite purchases:

A gorgeous New York journal with the deco inspired cover. I carry it everyday and use it to jot down notes for my blogs. I love this notebook! It's available in their store or online for 12 dollars. I also had to buy those numbered clips. I really could not resist them!

Blog journal and numbered paper clips

And when I noticed this pocket book one evening, I didn't hesitate for a second, I knew it was perfect - it has since become my favorite bag. It's not only a great shape but it's surprisingly roomy inside. I use this bag on weekends when I go out and fit all my stuff *plus* a pair of flats (wrapped inside a plastic bag of course). It's also still available at the store or online for only $42.

My favorite pocket book

Here's another item I fell in love with immediately- this perfectly cut pink sweater. It's cropped with 3/4 length sleeves and a cowl neck. How cute is this? (And according to Jen, Keith actually mentioned to her how perfect this sweater would be for me. He was right!)

Pink adorable sweater

So those are some of my previous purchases. And after not visiting Team Cute for a while, I finally couldn't take it anymore! I wandered in there today with every intention of buying something. It turned out they have a bunch of really adorable Valentine's related items-


Valentine's Day Central!

Valentine's Day items @ Fred Flare

How sweet is this sign? Doesn't it just make you smile?


I did not walk out empty handed- I bought these items:

1- A heart by Chris Uphues (These hearts appear around various places in Brooklyn. I photograph them whenever I see them. I had no idea who was behind them until he brought his famous hearts to Fred Flare.)
2- A box of Junior Mints that are heart shaped (They are for Michael. Hopefully he is not reading this.)
3- A set of 10 retro Valentine's that I will share with my nearest and dearest.


And on this particular Sunday, the lovely Bilgim and Holly were working in the store. They were gracious enough to pose for a photograph for this blog. Hello ladies! Thanks for your help today!

Bilgin & Holly @ Fred Flare

If you're in the Greenpoint area, please give the wonderful staff of Fred Flare a visit. They, and their store, will put a smile on your face. I guarantee it!

Fred Flare- The "Cavalcade of Cute" can be found here:

131 Meserole Ave at Leonard Street
Greenpoint, Brooklyn 11222, 718-349-1257
(a couple blocks north from the Nassau Ave stop on the G train)
STORE HOURS: 12-7 WED-SAT, 12-5 SUN, CLOSED MON & TUE

12 comments:

rowan said...

i LOVE their skull heart earrings that appear on the website. now you are making me find a reason go to visit Fred Flare.

rowan said...

that should be "making me find a reason TO go visit Fred Flare".

rowan said...

ok me again...where is reason # 3?

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Oops! My bad! Part 3 is drafted but not yet published! I should have made this 3 and that one 4, but too late.

Anonymous said...

I bet you love their chalkboard. All nice and neat and pretty :D

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Ha ha ha! YES! You obviously read my commuting blog too. You know me so well already ;)

diana said...

I love this store! I haven't been in there in a month, I need to go pick some stuff up! I got a cute black coat from there, it was only $44 and is now my light winter coat.

Keith said...

Hi honey! Just wanted to say thanks so much for this amazing post. That crush is SO mutual!! I'll be at the store on Sun from 4-5 if you're around... Would LOVE to see ya. FF hearts Bitch Cakes!

Keith said...

Hi honey! Just wanted to say thanks so much for this amazing post. That crush is SO mutual!! I'll be at the store on Sun from 4-5 if you're around... Would LOVE to see ya. FF hearts Bitch Cakes!

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Diana- I remember you telling me about that coat, I can't wait to see it!

Keith!!!! I miss your adorable face, I haven't seen you in so long. I will make a note of that and try to pass by at that time- Bilgim told me that a you are expecting a ton of new stuff this week, so I planned on stopping in anyway. It would be great to see you :)

Anonymous said...

Hi girl, had a chance to check out your blog and YOU ARE FABULOUS!
xoxoxox
B

Anonymous said...

B = Bilgin!!! Didn't mean to be anonymous!