Sunday, September 27, 2009

Reasons I love Greenpoint- Part 10: View from the Pulaski Bridge

Has it really been 3 weeks since I last blogged over here? Oh the horror, the horror! I guess that's what happens when I bike as much as possible before it gets too dark and cold to take out the old cruiser. My sincere apologies (if there are any of you left reading these words).
One thing I always loved about Greenpoint driving over the Pulaski Bridge. Now, there is nothing at all spectacular about this short span that connects Northern Brooklyn to Southern Queens. But what I always found stunning was the view of midtown Manhattan if you look west.

Being in a car meant I could only steal glimpses of the skyline, so it wasn't until I got rid of my car that I really had a chance to appreciate it. Now I get to enjoy it just about every day!

For one thing, the B61 that I take to and from the 7 Train goes over this bridge, so I see midtown as the early morning light glistens against the steel and concrete; and again in the evening when sun is behind it and the colors are more vibrant.

In addition, I ride my bike over this bridge whenever I need to get to the 59th Street Bridge and I even make special trips up there when the sunset is spectacular - because I know I will get a great shot of it.

Here are some of my favorite photos to date:

One of the best views of midtown is from the Pulaski Bridge between Greenpoint, Brooklyn and Long Island City, Queens









View of Midtown Manhattan from the Pulaski Bridge at sunset

Another glorious summer sunset from the Pulaski Bridge

I love New York.



Checking out midtown from the Pulaski Bridge



Sunset from the Pulaski Bridge





NYC Skyline from Pulaski Bridge













Riding over the Pulaski Bridge @ 645am





Sunset - view from the Pulaski Bridge

from the Pulaski Bridge

I love Greenpoint, and I love New York. I can't believe I'm lucky enough to live here.

10 comments:

KlevaBich said...

Wow, those are some wonderful shots! I can see why you love living there.

The Lady in Red said...

I am still so jealous of where you live. Those shots are awesome! It's been so long since I've been in NY. I neeeeeeeeeeed to get back there, but I may never leave once I do. :)

Kathie @ my net finds said...

Absolutely gorgeous pictures! thank you for sharing with us :-)

Rutila said...

The first year I worked for NFT, it included new maps of Astoria and LIC. I asked Ashley to draft the Astoria intro, and I wrote the LIC one. Guess which feature was front and center? The view from the Pulaski Bridge: "Though not as romantic as the Brooklyn Bridge, the Pulaski Bridge provides an unparalleled view of midtown Manhattan." It's a bridge only a Greenpointer could love, and this post was picture perfect in its honor.

The Other End Of The Leash said...

What beautiful shots, you are a talented photographer among so many other things. :)

Love the mountains, but getting a bit homesick for the city...

Diana said...

I especially love the shot where it looks like the Empire State is piercing dark clouds with light, great angle and capture. :)

Kel said...

LOVE this collection. I do the reverse commute as you, I walk over the bridge often on my way to and from the bookstore, and I love the views that this bridge offers. Great collection!!! - Kelly from WORD

SeanO47 said...

It is soooo cold to walk over that bridge in the winter though. Great pictures though...kind of surprised Elaine and I aren't in the background of one of them.

crossedtheriver.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Gorgeous! I love how you never take living in such an amazing place for granted, Sheryl. Those shots are just like postcards.

Anonymous said...

So I was googling nyc skyline and one of your pictures (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3550/3688646726_a559dd5f72.jpg) popped up. I wanted to let you know that I got a tat of the skyline this past weekend. It is an awesome photo, thanks for taking some great shots of NYC.