Saturday, January 9, 2010

Reasons I love Greenpoint- Part 16: Filming

One exciting thing about being in NYC is you are bound to run into film crews. Sure, it's an inconvenience when it's on your block and the lights and noise keep you up in the middle of the night, but I have not had to deal with that... yet.

A shocking amount of TV and movies film in Greenpoint. Since I've been here (4 years), these are just a handful of shoots that I am aware of: Lipstick Jungle, Fringe, The Casualty, The Money and the Power (that 50 Cent show that was on MTV), 30 Rock, Life on Mars, The Black Donnellys, Rescue Me, The Departed and my absolute favorite show - Flight of the Conchords!

In fact, I got to watch them filming Flight of the Conchords *before* I had started watching the show. It's probably a good thing too - because if I was a fan at the time I stumbled upon the shoot, I may have risked life and limb to cover Jemaine Clement in kisses (I *LOVE* THAT MAN!). Here are the photos I took that night on Greenpoint Ave:

Filming "Flight of the Conchords" in Greenpoint

Look! It's Jemaine!! (He's in front of Chinese Musician restaurant on Greenpoint Ave- this is where I have Christmas dinner with my Dad)

Filming "Flight of the Conchords" in Greenpoint

Filming "Flight of the Conchords" in Greenpoint

My favorite show on network TV is 30 Rock. They film in Silvercup Studios (in Long Island City), which is only a few miles from here. But for one opening scene, they shot in front of one of the many 99 cent stores on Manhattan Ave. I was not aware of this until I was watching the episode. I recognized the store immediately because of the red 99 cents neon sign. Here is the storefront (between Meserole & Calyer):

This Greenpoint 99 cent store was seen on 30 Rock this season!

And here is a still shot from the episode:

30 Rock, on Manhattan Ave in Greenpoint

Lipstick Jungle was on Greenpoint Ave what seemed like every day for months. I never saw the actors, but I did get one of the crew to let me take a banana from the food table once.

Rescue Me filmed here often too. I've also seen their trailers, but never the actors.

And the show Life on Mars filmed here a lot too.

Life on Mars shooting on Manhattan Ave

One night I took photos of the film crew and the parked cars on Calyer street -

Shooting "Life on Mars" on Calyer St at the Capri Social Club

Car from the set of "Life on Mars"

Car from the set of "Life on Mars"

And last spring/summer, a film called "The Bounty" with Jennifer Aniston filmed in Greenpoint for weeks. I loved what they did with some of the storefronts along Manhattan Ave and I watched them film the parade scene-

I'd totally buy that bathing suit

I *love* this graphic so much, I want to marry it!!!

Hanging out between takes

Marching Band


Although this entry is all about the reasons I love Greenpoint, I need to mention that when I bike around and see the "No Parking" signs, I am on a mission. First, I pull my bike over. Then, I make sure the coast is clear while I sing a little Judas Priest in my head "breakin the law! breakin the law!". I pull out my razor blade - which I carry for this exact purpose - and cut down a sign. What a rebel! I can't stop myself. I just love collecting them! But I am considerate about it, I do it only when there are multiple signs in one place, because I don't want anyone to get a ticket or get towed for not knowing about the restriction.

Here are the signs I've collected so far (these are from Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan)-

No Parking signs from NYC film shoots

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any film crew signs in Greenpoint lately. But I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I wonder what will film here next!

8 comments:

SeanO47 said...

I fucking loved The Black Donnellys. I wrote NBC a letter when they cancelled it. Damn it !!!!

Lawgirl said...

I'll fight you for Jemaine!! :-)

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Sean, I included a link because I was sure NO ONE would even know/remember that show. I am not surprised to hear you enjoyed it though :)

Lawgirl- bring it!!! ;)

Sara said...

Okay, that's soooo weird. I was watching the second series of FOTC this morning and thought of the location "oh, that reminds me of Bitch Cakes' blog", and then you go and post this!

AND I'll join you in the Jemaine queue ;)

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Sara- actually there are several episodes with many scenes that were filmed in Greenpoint and neighboring Williamsburg, where I ride my bike a lot and take pics. So you are correct!

Jennifer said...

Seeing Jemaine in real life is waaay better than being visited by David Bowie in dreams.

Lisa E said...

Your no parking collection is so cool.

bluetamarai said...

FotC is soooo good. And Jemaine is yummy indeed! I saw them when they came to Detroit, and we were in the 3rd row... but I believe you had a better vantage point. Nice pic!